Objectives of the SUBSPORT project
The goal of the SUBSPORT project is to develop an internet portal that constitutes a state-of-the-art resource on safer alternatives to the use of hazardous chemicals. It should be a source of not just information on alternative substances and technologies, but also of tools and guidance for substance evaluation and substitution management.
The portal is intended to support companies in fulfilling substitution requirements of EU legislation, such as those specified under the REACH authorisation procedure, the Water Framework Directive or the Chemical Agents Directive. Furthermore other stakeholders like authorities, environmental and consumer organisations as well as scientific institutions will benefit from the portal.
In addition, the project aims to create a network of experts and stakeholders who are active in substitution. The network should assist in content development and promotion of the portal as well as ensuring sustainable updates and maintenance. This will contribute to the project’s goal of raising awareness and promoting safer alternatives. Furthermore, training on substitution methodology and alternatives assessment will be provided.
What is integrated in the Substitution Support Portal
The project partners offer the following information on the internet portal SUBSPORT and make it publicly available in four languages:
- a structured presentation of legal information on substitution throughout the European Union and, in part, on an international and national level
- a database of hazardous substances that are legally or voluntarily restricted or subjects of public debates
- a compilation of prevalent criteria for the identification of hazardous substances
- a description of existing substitution tools to compare and assess alternative substances and technologies
- a database comprising case stories from companies and literatures with general information on alternatives to the use of hazardous substances and detailed alternative assessment reports for 10 substances or substance groups of high concern each including up to 5 essential applications
- concepts and materials for substitution training programmes
- interactive elements for discussion, networking, exchange of information and experience as well as for portal updates
SUBSPORT offers systematic and reliable information on substitution in the form of a database. The aim is to promote practical substitution activities in many sectors and enterprises, i.e.:
- initiation of many practical substitution processes
- support in achieving compliance with legal substitution requirements
- network of experts for updating, quality management and dissemination of the portal
- leading database for substitution worldwide
Project duration: 3 years, Jan 2010 – March 2013.
- LIFE+ Programme of the European Union
- BAuA – Federal Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, Germany
- Federal Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry, Environment and Water Management, Austria