Substitution is a core action to reduce the risks hazardous chemicals pose to the environment and public health. However finding a safer substitute can be a challenging task – the SUBSPORT web portal is your resource to facilitate this work.
SUBSPORT is a free-of-charge, multilingual platform for information exchange on alternative substances and technologies, as well as tools and guidance for substance evaluation and substitution management.
The SUBSPORT web portal aims to be the first entry point for anyone interested in substituting hazardous chemicals, to support companies in fulfilling substitution requirements within EU legislation, as well as being a resource for other stakeholders such as authorities, environmental and consumer organisations, and scientific institutions.
You are welcome to use SUBSPORT and to share your substitution experience in our growing case story database.
The following information is publicly available in four languages:
- a structured presentation of legal information on substitution throughout the European Union and, in part, on an international and national level
- a database of restricted and priority substances that are legally or voluntarily restricted or subjects of public debates (only in English)
- a compilation of prevalent criteria for the identification of hazardous substances
- a description of existing substitution tools to compare and assess alternative substances and technologies
- a database comprising case stories from companies and literatures with general information on alternatives to the use of hazardous substances and detailed alternative assessment reports for 10 substances or substance groups of high concern each including up to five essential applications (only partly translated to French, German and Spanish)
- substitution training programmes (alternatives identification and assessment training)
- interactive elements for discussion, networking, exchange of information and experience as well as for portal updates
SUBSPORT is currently extended with information specific to the textile industry (see SUBSPORT Textile).
Maintenance and basic update of the SUBSPORT portal is guaranteed until 2017. We continue to look for funders to be able to realise future comprehensive updates and extensions of the SUBSPORT information portfolio.